Saturday, July 26, 2008

It wasn't even Friday the 13th!

Wierd doings on planet earth yesterday:

In Milwaukee Keith Walendowski, 56, was charged with felony possession of a short-barreled shotgun or rifle and misdemeanor or disorderly conduct while armed. It seems Mr. Walendowski became angry when his lawn mower wouldn't start Wednesday morning and shot the Lawn Boy dead. "I can do that, it's my lawn mower and my yard so I can shoot it if I want," he said.

In Dayton, Ohio, 21 year old minor league pitcher Julio Castillo was arraigned Friday on a felonious assault charge. Mr. Castillo was ordered held on $50,000 bond for throwing a "very wild" pitch into the stands and injuring a spectator when a brawl erupted during a game between the Class A Dayton Dragons and the Peoria Chiefs, Castillo's team. The fan was treated at a hospital and released. Umpires ejected 15 team members and both managers following the 10-minute brawl. Mr. Castillo is cooling his heels in the Montgomery County jail.

And in the friendly skies . . .

An explosive bang shook a Quantas jumbo jet cruising at 29,000 feet with 346 people aboard on Friday. The Boeing 747-400 was enroute from London to Melbourne when one of the panels of the outer skin of the aircraft came away, causing an "explosive decompression" according to pilot John Francis Bartels. The passengers had just been served a meal after a stop-over in Hong Kong when they described hearing a loud bang, then their ears popping as air rushed out the opening. Oxygen masks deployed and the pilot put the plane into a quick descent to 10,000 feet, where the atmosphere is still thin but breathable. The flight was diverted to Manilla where passengers and crew alike were amazed to see the 9-foot-wide hole in the airplane just forward of the starboard wing. "It dawned on alot of people that this was a major incident," passenger Phil Restall of Chippenham, England, told the BBC. "There was no screaming. It wasn't your typical television movie." An intrepid lot indeed, the passengers were put up in Manilla hotels and then left before midnight on another plane to Melbourne.


Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home